Sunday, March 1, 2009

A Few Musings About Paul Harvey

This is where the opinion part of blogging comes into play, is moments like these.

Your Tri-State Media Watcher was on the way to Taco Bell in Florence, Kentucky this evening, and as I went along, I thought about Paul Harvey's death yesterday. (see previous post below)

These thoughts took me back all the way into elementary school at Collins Elementary (part of the Boone County, KY school district), when Paul used to do his "Rest of the Story" commentaries in the afternoons if I recall correctly. This would be between 1992 and 1996.

I remember that the last thing I heard on the bus' radio every day was, "And now you know...the rest of the story. I'm Paul Harvey...Good day!"

After 1996, I couldn't listen to him because my bus route no longer had me coming home in time to hear that segment, nor for that matter did I get up early enough when it moved to weekday mornings. (I always woke up at 6:30, and his commentaries aired at 6:25am.)

Back in 2004, I re-discovered "The Rest of the Story" and began to listen to it mornings while getting ready for college. Then, when I became too sick to continue my schooling in 2006, I started listening to his "News and Comments" radio commentary at 12:05pm weekdays.

Tonight, I sit here, wondering if Paul Harvey's commentaries touched the millions of others who listened to them, the way they did me.

And now you know, as Paul would say...the rest of the story.

For Tri-State Media Watch, this is Jeremy Moses. Good night!

No comments: